Saturday 16 October 2010

How fragile we are.


Last year, I read Richard Hammond's autobiography. His recovery from a horrific car crash on a Top Gear filming is a amazing story of medical skill, his wife's devotion and good fortune. On Thursday I was in our office with my cousin Tim. We were discussing plans for the weekend and the potato market. Less than two hours later, he was being flown by Air Ambulance to Addenbrooke's hospital in Cambridge with head injuries, following a fall in a potato store. He had fallen from a gantry onto the concrete below. Fortunately our assistant Stuart, and I were nearby. Stuart's swift response and the incredible speed and professionalism of the emergency services who attended have given the surgeons every possible chance with Tim. He remains very poorly, and the prognosis is not yet clear. What is clear to me is how precious life is, and how easily and quickly it can be changed. Tim was looking forward to so much; I hope he is able to fullfil his ambitions. Get well soon Tim.

No comments:

Post a Comment