Tuesday 12 October 2010

We are in the midst of greatness.

It is often hard to see something truly great until we look back at it. There have only been a few sporting greats who have played in my lifetime. I often wonder whether I will ever see a Fangio or Bradman. Yet we now think of sportsmen of my childhood as legends, who mostly now commentate on the game. Pete Sampras, Ayrton Senna and Shane Warne have all made history in my lifetime. Roger Federer is reaching the end of his career, and can surely be added to this list. This morning I watched Sachin Tendulkar score 214 runs in an innings. Without his score, India would be in dire straights, needing to draw the match to win the series. This is Tendulkar's 49th test century and his 6th double century. He made his test debut at 16 years old has been playing test cricket for over twenty years. Surely he will be considered to be one of the greats of this great game.

No comments:

Post a Comment