Friday 4 February 2011

Desert Island Discs


I have been all over the country this month, and so blogging has taken a back seat. Radio 4 has been a constant friend since I was 18 particularly when driving, so I the invention of the podcast has just completed that little part my world. Champion of all podcasts is indisputably Desert Island Discs. The weekly chat with someone that I am never likely to meet but is highly talented enriches my world to the extent that I find myself listening to the best ones several times. And despite my initial concerns, Kirsty Young is at least as good as Sue Lawley; I am not old enough to remember Michael Parkinson. This week I have listened to the incredibly driven Chinese pianist Lang Lang, the camp opera director John Copley and the hilarious creator of Wallace and Gromit Nick Park, to name but a few. Their eclectic mix of music is thought provoking and I find their backgrounds, their history and their successes and failures fascinating. Past favourites include Gore Vidal, and John Humphys.
I always thought that I would chose a piano as my luxury, so it drives me mad when others do. Perhaps I will chose a cello. Or chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment