Tuesday 21 May 2013

Times. They are a changing..

My father tells me that no generation, before or after him, will see the changes to the world, and particularly agriculture, that he has.

In his childhood, he can remember cart horses, threshing machines and binders.
Now, at 67, he sees farm operations controlled by satellite, crop yields measured and mapped by computers in the air conditioned cab.


Does every generation feel this? My grandfather reminisces of draglines draining scrubland in Northamptonshire in between the two wars. Doesn't he feel that he has seen the greatest change? 

As a boy, I remember cabless combines and tractors. I saw men hand hoeing fields and I have plunge dipped sheep in organophosphate. This week I had a presentation a man who has developed an independent online grain trading platform. 

Surely every generation sees enormous change? And because what our fathers saw that we didn't seems SO archaic, we are prepared to believe that they saw the greatest change. My son will scarcely be able to contemplate business without the Internet and mobile phones, whilst my father struggles to utilise the technology at his disposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment