Wednesday 29 June 2011

Tonight's Today

It seems like a long time since I updated this blog, and what a time it has been.

In the old days, June was a quiet time, when you could recharge after a busy spring and be ready for harvest. These days we pack so much into this "quiet month" that it is now one of the busiest. Combined with the cricket season, we have the annual "Cereals Event", the Royal Norfolk Show and a host of farm walks and trials visits. On top of that, we annually subject ourselves to the Norfolk County Farms Competition, and each year we are audited by our customers to make sure that we keep records of toilet cleaning and to check whether we have updated our anti bribery policy.

Just to remind you, we are a mixed farm in Norfolk, not a multinational retailer.

In the middle of all of all of this, I have accepted another job. Only this one is in addition to my current job!

On 23rd June, I accepted the role of Chairman of Anglia Farmers.

 I am honoured to be asked, and excited by the prospect. I hope I can live up to expectations.

So with all of this going on, it is not surprising that sleep has been the loser this month. I have seen dawn so many times in the last 6 weeks that I notice our flickr slideshow had rather too many pictures of sunrise on it. Norfolk has amazing skies at this time of year and I am privileged to have seen some spectacular dawns in them.

It is also the best time to see wildlife. I ran alongside a brown hare for what seemed like ages earlier this month, and a barn owl dropped into a grassy bank next to me as I drove to the office one morning. I have seen an Osprey, a Red Kite and numerous Buzzards too. I am yet to see the Kingfishers which hunt our short river this year, so I will spend some time looking for them next week.

So June has been a crazy month, but a fun one.

I can't wait for what July has to offer.